Over the last couple of weeks, I can honestly not say that I am proud to call myself a South African. I find it absolutely horrific that people who had suffered under Apartheid and who knew what it felt like to be discriminated against and to be treated differently because they were of a different colour are now the very same people who are using violence against people, albeit not of a different colour, but because they are not South African.
I have often been asked why I do not emigrate and the past few weeks, I have been so bogged down in the negativity surrounding South Africa, the load shedding and crime that we, South Africans live with every day, that I have asked myself the very same question. Whilst I may be fortunate enough to emigrate, my life, family and friends are here in South Africa and my family is not so fortunate to be able to emigrate. I am not going anywhere without my family.
And I love South Africa. I have said this so many times on my blog.
I believe (maybe naively) that we can make this country work; we can make South Africa prosper.
Many of the images being shared on social media about the xenophobic attacks are old images and the sharing of these images reflect on South Africa even more negatively. I am fairly certain that if you ask any foreigner about South Africa and what they know about South Africa, their first response would be about the violence and crime in South Africa; their first response would be negative. I don’t blame them because there is so much to be negative about in South Africa.
I came across Irresistibly Fish’s blog post on Monday and I agree with him. South Africa is such a beautiful country and there are so many positive things about South Africa that we forget.
Here is my list of some of the things that I love about South Africa:
- Table Mountain – It is now one of the 7 new wonders of the world.
- Potjiekos and Braais – How many countries can say that they have a national Braai day?
- Our wildlife and nature reserves.
- Koeksisters and Ouma rusks.
- I love our beaches.
- We have some of the most gorgeous women.
- The best cricket and rugby team and an array of successful sportsmen and women.
- I think that we are one of the friendliest nations.
- South Africans have the best sense of humour.
- Our picturesque sunrises and sunsets.
- Our doctors were the first to perform a heart and penile transplant.
- South Africa is a truly beautiful country.
- South Africans are generous and always willing to lend a helping hand.
- South Africa has talent – look how many famous South African actors there are.
Join me and tell the world what you love about South Africa. I would really love to hear it.