Today you start grade 1 and I honestly cannot believe that this day is here. When did our little boy grow up so fast?
Today is such an exciting day and the start of twelve years of schooling that will be over in a blink of an eye.
Today is the first day of you becoming whatever you want to be in life.
Today I want to tell you a few things that I hope that you will carry with you through school and hopefully university; a few things that I wish someone had told me when I first started school. I know that as you grow up, you will get to the age where you think you know better and ignore any advice given, but I really hope that you will take heed (a word you will learn – hopefully) of my words.
1. Be yourself – there is no-one like you and your are special and unique in every way.
2. Not everyone is going to like you and you are not going to like everyone and that is okay. However, be kind and respectful of everyone you meet, regardless of whether you like them or not and regardless of whether they like you.
3. Be a man of your word. If you say you are going to do something – do it. Never make promises that you cannot keep.
4. The one thing that will follow you through life and that you cannot escape is reputation so make sure that it is a good one. In fact, the saying goes that “reputation precedes (another word you will learn) you” – people know you by your reputation before they have even met you which is why you need to make sure it is a good reputation.
5. Dream big! Never give up on your dreams. Something Granny taught me and trust me, dreams do come true. That being said, you need to work at making your dreams come true- it will not just fall in your lap.
6. Work hard and faithfully – nothing in life is free.
7. Stay a child for as long as you can. Don’t wish your childhood away. It is the shortest part of your life and you will be an adult soon enough with all the responsibilities that come with it.
8. Never take anything for granted. Time is precious, so spend it wisely.
9. Find true friends, even if it is just one or two. Those are the friends that will stick by you through the good and the bad, the happy and the sad.
10. Tell your friends and family that you love them as often as you can; there will come a time when you no longer can.
11.Never quit or give up or say that “you can’t”. You can do anything that you set your mind to.
12. Laugh as often as you can. You have such a wonderful laugh.
13. Be proud of your achievements but stay humble.
14. Never be a bully.
15. Your friends will not know everything so do not follow them blindly.
16. Actions have consequences and if you do something, you will have to take responsibility for the consequence of those actions, whether good or bad. so choose wisely.
17. Learn to say no. It is okay to say NO – especially to things that are not good for you and even if saying “No” is “uncool.”
18. Life is hard but is worth it.
19. Listen to your father. Trust me- he has done whatever mischief or trouble you will plan to do in your life and has suffered the consequences. He does know what he is talking about.
We are all so proud of you and love you with our everything.
May your first day of grade one be as wonderful as you are.